Welcome to the Dynamic Meteorology group of the Institute for Atmospheric Physics at the Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz. The focus of our research is on the dynamics of the Earth‘s atmosphere from the micro scale all the way to the planetary scale. We aim to improve the conceptual understanding of the complex nonlinear dynamical phenomena and their interactions with „physical processes“. This understanding is essential to improve weather prediction and climate projections.
Our methods include a hierarchy of numerical models as well as the use of data from reanalysis projects and climate model simulations. As an important avenue towards conceptual understanding we develop and use sophisticated diagnostic tools allowing us to gain novel insight that cannot be obtained from just plotting model variables. The diagnostic tools, in turn, are related to theoretical concepts such as linear theory, PV thinking, or wave activity.
- 22 Sep 2020: F.Teubler was interviewed by JGU Magazine about Scientists for Future https://www.magazin.uni-mainz.de/11354_DEU_HTML.php
- 20 Aug 2020: collaborative paper with computer scientists published "Cluster analysis tailored to structure change of tropical cyclones using a very large number of trajectories", Mon. Wea. Rev., 148, 4209–4229
- 13 Feb 2020: V. Wirth held a keynote speech on "Climate Change" at Landesparteirat of SPD in Mainz.
- 07 Feb 2020: V. Wirth interviewed by Margarete Jall (Bavarian Radio, BR) about this year's warm winter weather. Broadcast was part of “IQ Magazin”, to hear it follow this link. The interview starts at 6.23 min.
- 17 Jan 2020: V. Wirth moderates ``Science on Stage'', a science slam event organized by 'Students for Future' in the context of the nationwide action day of 'Fridays for Future'.
- 03 Dec 2019: Miniworkshop on "Rossby waves and their implications for extreme weather and climate" held successfully at IPA.
- 01 Dec 2019: PhD student Jorge de Heuvel started his work in the framework of W2W.
- 27 Nov 2019: Presentation of V. Wirth at the Ministerium für Umwelt, Energie, Ernährung und Forsten about global climate change.
- 18 Nov 2019: V. Wirth member of a round table discussion at the Gutenberg Academy.
- 13 Nov 2019: Discussion V. Wirth with C. Pusch from the World Bank in the framework of the Mercator Science-Policy Fellowship-Programme.
- Two new PhD students, Amelie Mayer and Christopher Polster, started their work in the framework of W2W.
- July 2019: Start of phase 2 of Waves to Weather